Granny Phillips used to make these for me on request. I love her, and I love them.
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp or 20 ml baking powder
- 1/2 tsp or 2.5 ml salt
- 1/3 cup of lard or butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- Sift flour.
- Cut lard or butter into flour.
- Add salt and baking powder.
- Stir in milk and mix.
- Knead that dough – 4 more times than you think.
- Flour surface and rolling pin and roll out on clean flat surface.
- Once your dough is rolled out butter that sucker up like butter is on sale.
- Coat with brown sugar and cinnamon and smooth out with your palm.
- Roll into a nice toit log and cut into individual buns.
- Place on a parchment covered cookie sheet and bake for approx 15 mins at 350.
Sometimes I make some icing to drizzle on top while they are still warm so it’s more like a glaze when it cools. Just icing sugar, milk, butter, corn syrop, and some color if desired. A little vanilla or almond extract is a bonus.